Friday, January 11, 2008

Proper Tomato Salad*

Fresh tomatoes, basil, oregano, red chili pepper and shallots with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

We had friends round to dinner and were having Indian food - I made this salad almost as an afterthought, mostly because I had the ingredients handy and also wanted to keep my hands busy while we waited for them to arrive. I used vine tomatoes as well as the red chili that the recipe called for - which I have sinced discovered, are difficult to find in our local grocery stores. I also added ripe avocado and some bocconcini since I had some on hand but afterwards felt like they were unneccessary. Cucumbers, which I added, were a worthwhile addition, and were sliced very thinly.

I'm a big fan of tomatoes and as a result, absolutely loved this salad and is probably the best thing I have made from Cook with Jamie so far. I couldn't believe the flavors of the tomato with the basil. I can't wait to make this recipe in the summer months when I can get my hands on some garden tomatoes**.

* From Cook With Jamie, page 33

** I was so excited when I found an assortment of gourmet tomatoes while shopping at Dominion the other day - I've already earmarked them for another tomato salad.

No comments: